Things to do
Things to do
Auckland is full of things to do and even the most seasoned local can always find something new.
Find out all about the parks and reserves around Auckland city. Use our parks search to find a park with specific facilities like barbecues, playgrounds, sports fields and more
Auckland Zoo has New Zealand’s largest collection of animals and is recognised as one of the most progressive zoos in the world. The zoo is home to 179 different species and over 1300 animals. Phone (09) 360 3800.
Here you will find the most extensive collection of national and international art in New Zealand. Exhibiting work from its collection along with a programme of national and international touring exhibitions. Phone (09) 307 7700.
Stimulate your senses on a tour of the universe at the observatory. You’ll experience 360° theatre with 3500 stars high overhead, plus guided telescope viewing. The observatory is open seven days (and most nights). Phone (09) 624 1246.
Explore New Zealand’s rich natural and cultural heritage, and its modern history. The museum is located in one of Auckland’s finest heritage buildings in the heart of the Domain. Phone the infoline on (09) 306 7067.
- Tourism Auckland – visit one of six visitor information centres for some great ideas and great deals. Phone (09) 367-6009
- www.newzealand.com/travel/ – you can find a great source of information on New Zealand, including accommodation, activities, sights and travel. It includes an Auckland section
- www.viewauckland.co.nz – check out this website for information about dining out, bars and clubs, performing arts, arts and galleries, live music, sightseeing, natural environment, and what’s on.
- New Zealand Tourism Online – a comprehensive online directory of tourism and travel companies. It offers over 10,000 New Zealand accommodation, attraction, tour and transport listings plus extensive travel, vacation, holiday and visitor information
- The BIG little city – visit this site if you are wondering where to go and what to do in the BIG little city. It provides you with up to date information on the best events and the biggest attractions the inner city has to offer! All that plus where to shop, what to eat and where to party
- Auckland City Council’s mainstreet programmes are based on a partnership between local government, the business community and the community at large. Some of the mainstreet programmes have their own website with information about shopping, eating out and things to do.
- 95bFM entertainment guide – for information on the week’s DJs and live performances
- Ticketek is New Zealand’s leading entertainment ticketing company. Ticketek tickets a wide variety of entertainment, and has exclusive ticketing contracts with major New Zealand venues such as The Edge in Auckland.
- Visit Sky City Entertainment Centre – there are casinos, restaurants, cinemas, theatres and bars – plus a fantastic view of Auckland!
- Lionzone – Visit New Zealand’s largest brewery. Tours run Monday to Saturday at 9.30am, 12.15pm and 3pm. Bookings recommended on 09 358 8366 or email email@example.com.
- Check out TVNZ website, for news and TV listings.
- If you have access to Sky channels check out the Arts Channel for up to the minute arts information.
The following websites give listings of what movies are currently showing in local cinemas:
- Hoyts Cinemas
- Event Cinemas
- Rialto Cinema
- Academy Cinema
- Waiheke Cinema
- Lido Cinema
- Capitol Cinema – home to Bollywood cinema and entertainment.
Locations of local theatres and their programmes of performances can be found on the following websites:
- The Edge theatre venues
- Silo Theatre
- Auckland Theatre Company
- The Performing Arts College
- Maidment Theatre
- Dolphin Theatre
- Howick Little Theatre
- Covert Theatre
- www.roadworks.co.nz – gig guide, community events, history and a list of bars and restaurants in particular areas as well as a list of businesses.
- www.viewauckland.co.nz – check out this website for information about dining out, bars and clubs, etc.